I was going through BBC News (such is my daily practice) and found this page:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/country_profiles/1143240.stm
It's Singapore's country profile. It's really all quite amusing. We're referred to as the Disneyland with the death penalty. It seems the death penalty is highly unnecessary and yet, they forget who raged public executions and razed the lands of many (I'm not an advocate of Singapore's death penalty, mind you).
They also mentioned the Speak Good English campaign. Please stop mocking us. We're only trying to speak better english so we'll be able to climb higher. We're not so easily satisfied with our position, you know.
The BBC is extremely sarcastic. I say that they're perhaps somewhat bitter that this "tiger" has made it this far with little help from the British.
Oh Stamford, step down from your pedestal.
17 June, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Disneyland with the Death Penalty comes from an account from Wired magazine by William Gibson: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.04/gibson.html
Post a Comment