Okay. So I’ve decided that I want people to read what I write. And I think I will try to keep the entries coming. But I’ve never blogged because it seems to me that given the opportunity to have free rein over what you’re saying, self-centred homosapiens such as myself will be compelled to speak only about themselves.
The impetus to this entry is the ten minute clip that Selene told me to watch. I did and I feel that much can be said about Theo Van Gogh’s compulsion to direct such a provocative movie.
Perhaps he knew he would be killed. Perhaps the idea of being a martyr appealed more to him than painfully shining a light on the injustice of the Quran.
Perhaps Van Gogh hoped to achieve fame like his ancestor. Isn’t that enough to drive a man?
So the film exposes the fact that the Quran asks for a woman to be subservient. So it says that women have to cover up. So? Who are we, as non muslims to judge the quality of a faith? Who are we as mere mortals to acknowledge a religion and say that it is bad?
It appears to me that Islam has been given some very bad publicity. Go read From My Sisters’ Lips by Naima B Roberts. She tells of how she, a drug user, heavy metal worshipper chose to abandon her hot pants for the niqab.
The ever critical Chinese Singaporean finds it so easy to judge a Muslim. “EEYER all the malay girls give birth so early!” “Siao ah, so hot still WRAP until like that!”
Have these people actually considered their own virtues (if any)? Who are they to mock a woman who chooses to listen to her husband? Who are they to mock someone who fears their lord so strongly?
Okay. This is where the lines blur horribly for me. I have seen a mother of a friend remain at home, waiting on her husband and children for over 20 years. She is clearly discontented but stays put in an oppressing household. She’s afraid.
You say it’s their culture. “if it were me, I’ll pack and leave!” Ya. I’ll be sure to release some hell of a fireworks display if you do.
You get to watch only films that show Islam and the culture derogatorily. Then I ask, what about Catholics? Mother Theresa turned down donations of washing machines because she believed that nuns so do hard labour. Perhaps time spent washing clothes could be used to comfort a sick child. You don’t see a film about a Catholic woman who died without a service because SHE WAS DIVORCED, DO YOU?
What about Christians who praise Jesus but never go to church?
I may be unclear about many things but one thing is pellucid for me, it is never the faith to be blamed. MAN, look at yourself, you are the ones who created the rules of worship, the image of “God” itself. So please don’t judge a faith that you know absolutely nothing about.
thank you selene for number one. and ilhammi for explanation of the artist and canvas.
14 September, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
wohoo!! deniseeeee started her blog like finally... haha!! 1st entry soooo angsty already ah u... whee!
Post a Comment