Pooja Nansi’s words touch your very core. Her poems are strong and her emotions are raw. Her talent knows no bounds and her poetry expands over too many emotions to even contemplate.
Born in Gujarat, India, Pooja has lived in Singapore since she was one and a half. A literature teacher now, she also performs at The Singapore Poetry Slam.
Her first book explores tradition, family, discrimination and her identity as a woman in the rapidly changing South-East Asian Society.
Pooja returns calmly to the roots she was bestowed and ruminates the implication of being a woman. The result of her emotional recollection is a book that melds seamlessly the lighter, more casual themes with darker ones that confronts shamelessly her emotional, physical, social and sensual discoveries.
Her anger is evident and her passion is strong when she writes in “mind your language” about a westerner rebuking her for not saying, “Please”. She tangos with prejudice and delightfully ridicules the idiosyncrasies of a culture that concentrates on conquering.
Near the end of the book, Pooja’s poems become stunningly wise. In “how to be a stiletto”, she juxtapositions gratification and contentment, gracefulness and ease and her observations are strikingly remarkable when you realise she is only 27.
17 May, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
you realise when you blog comchimchim things nobody leaves any comments?
I SHOULD PUT ANOTHER PICTURE OF A BALDWIN GUINEA PIG.
I SHOULD PUT ANOTHER PICTURE OF A BALDWIN GUINEA PIG.
I SHOULD PUT ANOTHER PICTURE OF A BALDWIN GUINEA PIG.
for a moment i was surprised.
"4 comments. hmm.. are they all protests from denise's friends trying to prove their point? let's see..."
chey.
OH MY GOD HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!
Hi, thank you for the lovely review of my book. I just happened to stumble upon this. I have to say, you are very generous with your praises :)
Pooja Nansi
Post a Comment